Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Oatmeal and Nail Polish

"Oatmeal and Nail Polish" --- a little random but both things I love very much!

Oatmeal - I eat the exact same breakfast every single day of my life.  I am obsessed with it.  I cannot wait to eat this every morning.  When I am at the gym in the morning, I cannot wait to get home, shower and eat oatmeal.  This is funny to me because I have never been a real oatmeal person.  For awhile, I ate steel cut oats quite a bit, but mostly I ate them because I knew they were good for me and it seemed like a healthy breakfast.  I never LOVED them like I now love old fashioned oats.  It wasn't until I discovered this exact combination that I fell in love with oatmeal.  Here's what's in the mix:
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • Little less than 1 cup skim milk
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • Handful of raisins
  • 1/2 sliced banana
  • Large scoop of peanut butter (1-2 tbsps... I really have no clue... I love PB!)
I mix the oats, milk and cinnamon and then microwave for 2 minutes.  I love this recipe because it is so quick and easy.  I used to do the whole steel cut oats deal on the stove and it was a huge pain in the ass.  Another way of making old fashioned oats is "overnight oats in a jar" (very popular in the food blogosphere) but I prefer the microwave method.  Ecspecially now that it is cold... what could be better than a huge bowl of hot oatmeal?!?

 
Nailpolish - this is a topic I could talk about for days.  I cannot even express in words how much I love nail polish, manis, pedis, acrylic nails, shellac nails, etc.  One of my favorite things in the whole world to do is go get a mani/pedi.  I am a perfectionist by nature, so when my fingernails and toenails look perfect, I am one happy camper.  I am trying to teach myself how to do my own nails a little better, but being such a perfectionist I get very frustrated when it doesn't look amazing.  I should probably get a nail technician license just so I can do my own nails!  Seriously, that is something I would do. 

So for purposes of comparison, I am going to show you the difference between my nail skills and a professional.  The first photo is the one I did myself and it is one of my new favorite colors.  It is Essie Figi and it is a perfect opaque pink shade.  Although I love OPI Bubble Bath and other somewhat transparent nude shades, sometimes an opaque shade is exactly what I'm looking for.  The only thing I do not like about Essie Figi is that it is not easy to apply.  It goes on pretty thin and therefore streaky.  I haven't tried this one on my toes yet but I think it would be an awesome spring/summer shade for my toes! 


The next photo was taken a couple hours after I had a polish change at Ladue Nails.  The shade is OPI You Don't Know Jacques.  I have been wanting to get this shade on my nails for a long time but it's pretty hard to find at the nail salon.  After my nail tech tracked it down this morning, I was thrilled!  My only complaint about this color is that it appeared to be very thin.  I asked the lady to apply three coats but I think it could have even used four.  The only reason I did not ask for a forth coat is because I was worried about a long dry time and bubbling.  Overall, I am really pleased with this color and will probably purchase it soon! (Now that I am looking at the photo, the color seems off.  My skin looks extremely pink so that is how I know the nail color is wrong.  I will have to try to get a better photo.)



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment